Asana Clinic 1

posted in: Asana Clinic 8

Asana Clinic 1_ Intro to Yoga Asana – supporting PDF

Reflections to be completed in your manual

Turn to page 2 of the ‘Beyond the Asana’ and complete the Starting positions and base of support practice, reflecting on each (page 3).

Svadhyaya – reflections to be completed here in the online portal

Please take some time to reflect on the above and teachings of this Asana clinic and write a reflection based on the following below.

1. What is your key take-away from the asana clinic and introduction to exploring Yoga Asana?
  2. Identify how you may apply that key take away to both your personal practice and in the context of teaching one-to-one or in a class setting.
  3. Share one aspect of your practical exploration of the ‘bases of support’

1. admin

This is an example reflection.

2. Coral Ann Gilmore

1. My key take away from this Asana Clinic is simply ‘EXPLORATION’ – it was quite profound…….
    I really enjoyed the clinic, it was very informative and relaxed.
    2. I intend to invite exploration into my own practice an to invite students to allow themselves to also invite exploration into their own practice. the invitation to self to explore each asana, pose, posture, shape, breath and mantra practice and to feel into the sensations of each in their body and also how it feels in their mind. Invite exploration of how their emotions may or may not be impacted as well.
    3. Seated in Passmottanasa eyes open, felt more connected as the was more of me touching the earth, grounded, settled, restful, spacially away.
    With eyes closed felt all of the above except more spacially aware, my awareness was internal, my body softened naturally, calm, felt the energy rise up through my spine.

3. Haylee

1. One of the major points that I took away from the asana clinic was a quote from Andy, which was “you must decide what purpose you body should serve, then you do the appropriate yoga for that – and this may change”. This resonated with me and I feel like it is the theme of 2021. Moving away from the one-size-fits-all to a more therapeutic and intuitive approach to a yoga practice. This is what I believe is one of the core foundations of feminine yoga.
    2. This is where one of my major shifts has come so far this year. My body and mind were screaming out for this for years now, but I have never had the platform, resources and support that I have now in order to confidently follow this path. I am listening more to my daily needs by simply asking myself what do I need right now? I am also letting go of guilt and attachment around not having a dynamic yoga practice every day as I am realising that all I was really doing was muscle strengthening. I am starting to trickle this philosophy into women around me and introducing them to a more therapeutic style of practicing, based on their needs. I am doing this by getting to know women, listening to them and their life situations and offering a practice based on that. I am introducing new practices to women (beyond asana) and educating women about all of the wonderful options out there that don’t require dynamic movement (also this is still possible to do if that’s what they need) so they too are aware of the available tools that can support them based on what purpose their body is currently serving.
    3. I practiced the lying position and I felt like after I had enough time to feel settled (both in body and somewhat mind) and I was able to feel my body soften and then I have a simultaneous sensation of being heavy and supported but also light, almost like I am dissolving or melting into the ground below me.

4. Tracy

1. My key take-away from the clinic was to continually explore & be present to notice how that feels in my mind & body.
    2. By continuing to explore my own practice, with observation & reflection will be able to share with other women with a confidence to allow them to intuitively feel into their own experience of practice. Would like to go through the bases of support in a one to one setting as a tool for the woman to perhaps start that path of observing her own mind , body & space in practice.
    3. A wonderful simple tool that I would like to revisit again & again. I found the difference between supine & prone quite suprising, was thinking with so much of the body in contact with the ground that experiences would be similar going from one to the other straight away, found that supine I felt overall at ease fairly quickly compared with prone my mind wandered and became aware of different parts of the body calling out for attention.

5. Alina Fogarty

1. My significant take-away from this clinic is further grasping that everything we do with our body affects our mind. That Yoga shapes and poses are a pathway, a system to attain and elevate our consciousness. They help identify how to transform body and mind to a greater state of awareness, health and wellbeing. That atmosphere and practice to achieve this should be conducive rather than compulsive.

2. This has really resonated with me at a challenging time when I have felt significant imbalance and a growing resistance to practice, arising first from the mind and with my body following suit. Gaining a deeper understanding of myself and how these patterns have been manifesting for me and why, along with this clinic shows me why I need to practice and to do so with greater flexibility and a changing purpose. I also really loved the reference to ‘finding a relationship that will let the experience of the asana resonate through all parts of the body for each individual.’ To fully embody this kind of explorative relationship for myself is a gift. Giving others the tools and permission to explore their own mind and body relationship through practice and awareness is the kind of teacher I would want and hope to be.

3. Exploration of the ‘bases of support’ was interesting. I found the difference between supine & prone quite different to what I had expected. I love the feeling of my entire body connecting with the ground, so grounding and supported. In Supine I felt an overall sense of comfort, my breathe was free and easeful, I noticed I felt a slight sense of vulnerability above me which I had never noticed before, I felt exposed, heavily molded to the earth, yet still light in a sense. When moving to Prone, I instantly felt more protected, less vulnerable, relaxed yet my breath was far more restricted and I felt confined. If I had to predict this result prior, I would have thought both supports have felt the same. I am curious now to see how this might feel for me on different days.

1. My key take away from this clinic is that the asanas, postures and poses are just the gateway to entering and exploring all that yoga is and has to offer us (physically, emotionally, energetically and spiritually). It has reaffirmed to me that the asana is not purely for exercise purposes, but rather to manipulate our energy, thought patterns and breath in a certain direction, enhancing overall wellbeing and states of conciousness.

2. My personal yoga practice – on and off the mat, has evolved dramatically since applying this take away into my life. I used to view yoga very much from an asana lense, always keen to improve on my physical practice, strength, flexibility, balance etc by attending quite strong vinyasa and power classes on a weekly basis. Not to say that these styles aren’t powerful in creating shifts within the body … but I definitely feel like I have more of an awareness and understanding around asana now, and have personally experienced very subtle and gentle yoga practices that have been just as, if not more powerful, than the physically stronger ones. After shifting my perspective and focus, I now apply a more holistic and therapeutic lense to my personal practice and my teaching. I regularly invite students to listen to their body and how its feeling in each moment, tuning in to what the body desires and what it is calling for. I offer and hold space for students to explore their individual body and breath (physically, emotionally, energentically and spiritually) without judgement, and give cues for them to take modifications and moments for rest and stillness when needed.

3. The bases of support experience was quite interesting for me as my body is currently transitioning through pregnancy and certain positions are starting to feel quite different/unusual in my body. I normally love the feeling of being in a supine position, flat on my back with my whole body connected to the earth… however at this stage of the pregnancy (21 weeks) being on my back is quite uncomfortable, especially around the lower back and glutes. When moving into sitting and kneeling position, I instantly feel more comfortable and supported, allowing my chest and heart space to be open, my growing belly to relax and my breath to be free and fluid. I do miss the option of being on my back though, so when I feel like I need to lay close to the earth I lay down onto one side, typically with bolster or pillow under legs for support. I didn’t chose to practice the prone/belly down position for obvious reasons.

7. Danielle Harris

Key take away – Asanas are a lot more that just shapes made with the body, they support mental growth and the opportunity for deep exploration into the body-mind connection.
    I would encourage students/remind myself to explore inwards into the body while it is in different asanas. Exploring the mind, nervous system and energetic body while in the postures. Allow things to come to surface, acknowledge these things.
    When exploring my own practice laying supine always brings me comfort. I feel fully supported and safe while laying like this. In comparison to being prone I almost feel suffocated, uncomfortable and weak in thoracic chamber.

1/ When I first began to do yoga- my aim was the physical. That has evolved since then, my key take away is how the asanas offer an opportunity to explore mind and body bringing the two into balance.

2/ Personal practice- the offering of exploration for myself to embody the practise, which I through embodiment will carry over into teaching. Language, cues and the invitation to explore ones own body is a beautiful and non overbearing way to assist a student in their own personal exploration.

3/ Bases of support – I found focusing on the bases of support is a very grounding experience and made me acutely aware of how I would be ‘holding myself’. Which was a great way to turn inwards and to focus on breath and to focus on relaxing.