Asana Clinic 4

posted in: Asana Clinic 6

Therapeutic yoga & self MFR for pregnancy

PDF resource – Therapeutic-Yoga-Self-MFR-for-Pregnancy-2

Reflections

Please complete below.

1. What is your key take-away from the asana clinic and exploration of Therapeutic Yoga & MFR for pregnancy?
  2. Identify how you may apply that key take away to both your personal practice and in the context of teaching one-to-one or in a class setting.
  3. Discuss how you might apply any of the explored practices in the context of a therapeutic approach to yoga for any woman who might need support (not just for pregnancy)

1. My key take-away was when Andy was speaking about pregnancy myths. So often we hear that back bending and twisting can be ‘dangerous’ or contra-indicated during pregnancy, when in fact it is really important to support a woman’s core strength, thoracic mobility and ability to create space in the body and breath in preparation for birthing.

2. I found this reassurance helpful for my own practice during pregnancy because sometimes I worry that I may be doing the ‘wrong thing’. In the context of teaching I would encourage the pregnant woman to always listen to her body, reassure her of the benefits and importance of core focused poses and offer plenty of time and space for rest.

3. I would apply myofascial release techniques in a setting where a woman may need support during her cycle, to increase blood flow and circulation around the pelvis and release tension, stagnation and blockages in the body.

2. Coral

1. Slow mindful movements, connecting with self and baby and that MFR can be used whilst pregnant safely.

2. Whether in my own practice or teaching in any setting remind students that being mindful of how they move is not only beneficial physically but allows for that connection to self. Staying present within their own body…..breath and movement together allow for that connection.

3. The use of props throughout an entire class, not just every other posture or shape. I liked the idea of using the bolster to bring the earth closer in downward facing dog and not because it was needed but because it was nourishing for the body. Not exclusively prenatal – good for anyone wanting to practice. And then keeping the bolster in use throughout the rest of the sequence……

3. Danielle+Harris

Key Take away – MFR is easy to work into a class, it can flow nicely.
    Doing a MFR on a body part before adding in to asana that work with the same muscles.
    I like the idea of using explored practices to help woman make connections with body parts that would otherwise be forgotten about (for various reasons). I really like the self massage through the ribs that Andy used in the above video. I remember I use to rub my right rib cage heaps when pregnant because it always hurt, I wasn’t stretching it however because I didn’t know about yoga back than.

4. Alina Fogarty

My key take-away from the asana clinic and exploration of Therapeutic Yoga & MFR for pregnancy was that apart from being aware of and applying all safety and contra indicator measures with pregnancy, just how important it is for ALL WOMEN to have the opportunity to experience the same range of benefits from a well-rounded, mindful, supported, and intuitive practice.

For me, applying this key take away to my personal practice and in the context of teaching one-to-one or in a class setting would mean providing opportunities for safe, intuitive exploration, rest, support of props, slow mindful movements, emotional connection with baby and/or self, time to relax and escape demands on life or the mind in general.

Practice should feel nourishing, uplifting and strengthening for the mind, body and soul. Each woman, pregnant or not, can have practice designed to prepare for life events, themed to support what they have been through or might be going through or yet to move into. I love that we have so many ways to walk alongside ourselves and others in life and be able to share simple yet effective sequences, supports and learnings that can be used outside of the class in therapeutic ways to improve people’s lives, during pregnancy, during difficult times or illness or for holistic wellbeing and self-care routines. I see hearts & rainbows when I look at props now!! I no longer see them as ‘aides’ people who can’t quite do yoga reach for and I LOVE THAT shift in mind set.

5. Haylee

My key take away from this asana clinic was to not feel so much fear around working with pregnant women, but rather to be aware of the changes going on in the women’s body and what is and is not recommended, but there is no need to feel like you need to completely rule practices out – such as backbends and twists, and you can safely incorporate these plus MFR into a practice for a pregnant woman. Rather, it is more important to let the woman be intuitively guided but what her body needs.
    I would apply this to my own practice by just tuning in to what I need. This has been a big shift my this year during the course as I used to just practice ashtanga 6 days a week, whilst it did not always feel best for my body. Now, I focus more on my self practice and am guided by what I feel like I need. Sometimes a strong practice, sometimes not, sometimes yin and MFR, sometimes just pranayama or meditation.
    I really like the use of props to make the practice more supportive. I didn’t use props so much before, but since doing this course I have really got value for money with my bolster 😊 When I have been working with women 1:1 or in small groups recently, I have been much more encouraging with prop use so that women can feel nourished, relaxed and supported. As Andy highlighted at the beginning of the video, the time taken out to practice might be the only time in the day when the woman has been able to stop and connect to their baby – or in the case of a non pregnant woman, to connect to themselves and their body.

1. My key take away(s) from the asana clinic is that modifying for pregnancy is not to to be feared as I initially thought and it is a really beautiful opportunity in assisting women in connecting with self and baby.

2. I would apply the key take away of connecting with self and tune into my body on how I show up on that day, the same with working within the context of working with pregnant women. I would invite them to tune into their own innate knowing and explore self and baby as they go through a flow.

3. Props are a simple but very powerful tool to use within yoga and can be an integral part of practice to facilitate the experience of being supported, nourished and relaxed. The use of props, blankets, blocks and MFR as been a great experience to explore. This is an aspect I would apply to practice for women in all phases of life.